Tuesday, September 25, 2007

9/16/07

Tuturam - Again - Almost

Since I couldn't make it to the Marianas Dive dive and beach cleanup due to prior engagements, I decided to treat myself to a dive at Tuturam. Some of us have been trying to dive Tuturam for years. I figured that with the west swell the diving might be doable. From my porch it looked like there were some waves, but nothing too crazy. It's only a 10 min drive from my house so why not give it a try, right? On the short hike to the beach I could hear the waves crashing; not a good sign. Waves breaking in the entry/exit cut is a sure way to tell that a site is not divable. In short another failed attempt to dive Tuturam. Conditions need to be close to perfect to try this dive it seems like. Another tip not quite dive related: don't drive this road after recent rain! Rain turns the red brown soil into red brown mud, which is surprise! slicker than cat shit. I managed to get my truck stuck at the bottom of the road. Not until 4 local boys helped me out by adding a little weight to the truck and a few strategically placed rocks did I make it back to the paved road my dive gear, my truck, and I caked with mud. Better luck next time.

No comments: